Saturday, May 25, 2013

School is out PARTY!

 The Dowding yearly schools out party! Some of the traditions we have had as a family had to change due to circumstances. I am doing my best to keep as many of them as possible. The schools out party is one of our favorites. Although we had to make a few changes this year, we still made sure to party like crazy:) In the past we have done invitations, inviting friends from the boys classmates. This year we kept it small, inviting a few close friends and neighbors. Every year we do some sort of water activity; water slides, water balloons, sprinklers or etc. Since the weather was cool, it was ok that we where not doing those this year.
Our parties always include some food. This year Emery grilled us hot dogs. I made this yummy fritos and corn salad. I added green onions as well. Similar recipe here:   http://www.food.com/recipe/frito-corn-salad-88251?layout=desktop  

We also had macaroni salad, Kool-Aid, bomb pops, chips, cottage cheese, baked beans. We cooked outside and enjoyed eating outside.
I went to the dollar store earlier and got stuff for fun! I got side walk chalk, bubbles; and stuff for our 3 fun, messy events. We did baking soda and vinegar; mentos and diet coke; and of course our yearly shaving cream fight. Our driveway and yard where a mess but everyone had a blast. The only mess left at the end was a yard full of shaving cream, thankfully  the rain  washed it all away for us.
 I was a little afraid that we might cause a car accident with all the people driving by  and looking at the yard full of kids making a mess. All together we had 9 boys and 1 girl here:) The night ended with the kids all showered and cleaned up and watching a movie while the moms enjoyed some time out on the porch visiting and encouraging one another.
 I love summer and having my kids to myself. Well other then when they head off for the many camps they attend. No homework, is a plus as well. Although I still have that homeschool mother in me, the kids do a math worksheet, some reading, and writing almost daily in the summer. We headed the day after school got out and signed up for the summer reading program. I try to keep our summers fun and busy. We look forward to time at the pool, library, parks, friends, and anything else we can come up with to do. Knowing this is Daltons last summer before graduation makes me want to make it extra special for him and the fact that last year I had my broken leg and our "getting out and going" was a bit limited.







No comments:

Post a Comment